Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Player Profile: Szewski

This is the first in a series of interviews (or at least I plan to make a series) of Polish VtES players you may meet during the upcoming VtES European Championship 2011 in Warsaw, Poland. Today I am starting with the National VtES Coordinator of Poland:

Name: Radoslaw "Szewski" Staszewski
Year of Birth: 1979
Occupation: Sales Rep
Hometown: Pszczyna, but I grew up in small village Goczalkowice.

Question: Describe yourself ... What's your current occupation? Where do you live right now? ..
Answer: I'm living in Pszczyna with my wife and kids . I'm working as sales rep in one of the biggest companies in the house cleaning industry. In Poland I've been known as a movie-director (some shitty independent horrors productions ), VtES player (one of the most talking ) and vocalist of some undergrounds project from the past (more like "grrrrrrrrrrr" than "do-re-mi-fa-so-la-si-do" ).

Question: When did you start VtES playing and how? For how long do you play it?
Answer: I started in 1997 I guess. my friend Tomo was working in the local RPG store (one of the first in Poland!!!) called "The Bard". He was my first VtES teacher (badly I think ). So I'm playing for about 14 years (with short break between 1998 and 2001)

Question: What VtES accomplishments do you have under your belt?
Answer: I won ECQ two times (both in Poland, 2005 and 2009) Was in EC Budapeszt, Prague, ECQ Kosice (two times!!! Greetings to Asnek!!!). To be honest I like to playing VtES without winning. (Ask my friends, they will tell you why? )

Question: What do you appreciate about VtES that keeps you coming back for more?
Answer: VtES is all that I need when it comes to: gambling, trash-talking with friends, sometimes drinking. For me it's the most complicated and difficult card game I've ever played. Now it's more like fun than sports, but there was a time when I was angry every time when I've lost.

Question: What about VtES should appeal to the average gamer?
Answer: Only to the mind.

Question: Tell us a bit about your local playgroup!
Answer: My local playgroup is not exist anymore. Everyone are abroad and make some money far, far away from our local playground. Now I'm visiting my friends in Myslowice or Bedzin and make some travels around the country.

Question: Tell us about your time spent as national coordinator of Poland!
Answer: Before the "NC times" I was the first person which made VtES tournament after the "Polish Hiatus". In Pszczyna back in 2004 we started something great (tournaments we reborn, players went out from the torpor, some great friendships were made) and the position NC was very natural for me (with great support of my VtES friends).
I created Polish VtES League (now we have 3rd edition, it's year to year, 12-18 tournaments with the big final in Pszczyna - always in December). I got to life some of the Princes and made some new too. And finally my last dreams was to organize the EC in Poland .. As you can see the dream will come true.

Question: Do you see any differences between players in Poland and the rest of the world? (In terms of play style, deck choices etc.) Why do you think there are those differences?
Answer: Yes, I see the difference. I was playing a few times with: Slovakian, Czech, German, Hungarian, Swedish and Finnish Players and there are some difference like talking (Finnish players are the best, with Hungarian just a step ahead ), friendly-no-harming (Slovakian are the best ), playing for winning (Germans I think will be the most "want-to-win" nation as far as I remember ) ..
Seriously I like to play with all guys from the world .. except .. it's a secret.

Question: What is your favorite type of deck and why do you like to play it? (Appreciated if you could provide a decklist as well!)
Answer: My favorite deck to play is .. oh, it's hard to say, because I have a few decks that I really loved (like Petaniqua deck -- Polish players please don't laugh so loud ) or Eldest are Kholo deck or Nana Buruku will kill you deck or Unnamed with actions...or Spell of Life deck...
But there is one deck I loved so much and it will be a pleasure for me to share with you this list: Gangrel's Assault

Question: Favorite strategy for winning a game. (Pacing, reading an opponent, when to play what, etc)
Answer: Waiting, listening, talking .. and be nasty when time is come.

Question: What do you think makes a successful player?
Answer: Ability to hide your own feelings and fears. And ability to sacrifice the VPs when it is necessary.

Question: How important do you think the political aspect of the game is?. Reading / intimidating / fooling your opponents? Do you consciously practice this?
Answer: I think it is important, but not necessary. Intimidating is a very tricky and could be dangerous so I practice this only on the special occasion , but I like to play with guys who try this kind of stuff on me.

Question: If they released equal amounts of cards for every clan, discipline, etc. what would you tackle first?
Answer: From new cards? I think it will be the Enkil Cog. From the "Goldie-Oldiest" the Parity Shift.

Question: How do you organize your cards? Do you have an inventory of cards? Do you use a deck building utility? Which one?
Answer: I'm quite a bangler so only the 30% of my cards are in catalogs or albums or sleeves .. the rest is .. I won't tell you . And yes, I have the list of my cards, is in my head.

Question: How do you prepare for tournaments?
Answer: I drinking a lot (just kidding with "a lot"). Seriously, since I don't have any pressure on "winning" I prefer a very loud music in my car (when I travel) and a few good drinks (before playing).

Question: What was your greatest moment in your VtES Life (not necessarily as a player)?
Answer: Getting the EC to Poland.

Question:
Question: What other games do you play?
Question: Last words?
Answer: Hope I will see all of you at EC 2011 in Poland!!! There will be lot of fun and VtES so be there or die trying!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment